Friday, August 3, 2012

My walking stick

 Ever since the stroke, i have been working to regain my balance. I do great indoors. Somehow being surrounded by four walls, a floor and a ceiling, helps my brain immensely. But once i go outdoors, i feel as if i could float right off the ground. Also, when a vehicle goes whizzing by me, i tend to tip over towards that vehicle! Not Safe!(Also the reason i have not resumed driving as of yet) So, i have been trying to walk with a standard walker. They work great indoors. But once out on the pavement, it is a rattly, noisy, jarring experience for me. One day last week i was walking near a wooded area when i spotted a length of thick grapevine that had been knocked down. I picked it up and it was nice and smooth, and sturdy too. So i dragged it home. Little did i know it would be the answer to my problems with walking outdoors. I am now walking about 2 miles a day, with my new grapevine walking stick! It helps me balance myself and gives me something to hold onto when the cars and bikes speed by me. I have all sorts of plans for this stick! I'm going to sand it down, decorate it and make it uniquely mine. But for now, it's in it's natural state...
 Except of course for the flowers and things i slip into it's nooks and crannies

I'm so happy with the fact that i can walk freely now with the aid of my walking stick, that i ordered one thru Etsy, made of New Mexican Locust wood. It's on it's way to me now. It's prettier, and lighter weight than the one i found myself, but you know, i think i will have to rotate my walking sticks, because i've grown quite fond of this one...

2 comments:

Sketching with Dogs said...

Good idea, looks like you found a real treasure!
Lynne x

Mare said...

I sure did Lynne. It is much more pleasant to walk with this quiet staff than the noisy walker.