Monday, August 13, 2012

A Visit to the Farm

 One of our favorite places to visit is Indian Ladder Farm. We have lunch at the Yellow Rock Cafe, and then the kids run out to visit and feed the animals...

 There are goats, a calf, chickens and turkeys, a donkey, a pot bellied pig...
 and there is Lola's favorite, Rosie the Scottish Highlander cow. We were told this visit that this would be Rosie's last Summer on the farm. Farmer Pete, the owner of the farm, said she was an old girl now and was having trouble getting around the hilly paddock so she was going to be retired to a new place that would be easier on her. I can't imagine the farm without her! She will be missed ...

the kids brought some sweet clover and juicy dandelions from their yard to share with the animals
and there were plenty of hungry mouths to feed!

Seth was in charge of the greens bag

i love seeing the kids have the experience of being around farm animals. If it wasn't for places like this they would never know the joy of communing with these sweet creatures...I look forward to more visits at Indian Ladder Farm...

3 comments:

Sketching with Dogs said...

Kids just love to look around a farm. I remember taking mine when they were younger and watching them feed all the lambs and baby goats. One of the best things you can do for your children is show them how to respect and love all animals.
Lynne x

Mare said...

I agree with you 100% Lynne. And also, these animals are the kind of animals that feed and clothe us, with their fleece and eggs and flesh. If we eat meat, we need to learn that it once had legs, and to be grateful for this gift they give us. I still struggle with this. I love cows and i love beef, LOVE pigs and love pork. It is a struggle i have had all my life.

Sketching with Dogs said...

Yes, I can imagine how hard it must be. I stopped eating meat about 35 years ago. Luckily there are some fantastic vegetarian recipes these days. I still eat fish though - although if I ever had one for a pet I'm pretty sure I wouldn't, LOL.
Lynne x