Friday, June 6, 2008

More works in progress....

Another little sock bunny made out of a single sock. I haven't decided on the face yet. I love sock dolls with buttons for their features, but if i use buttons, then the little folk cannot be allowed to play with the doll. And my paint markers will not show up on the black material. I would love to embroider more faces on my dolls but i am SO terrible at embroidery! I guess i'll just have to start practicing.....

In the jewelry department, i made a new set up last night using some of my favorite beads- rhyolite oval beads with serpentine spacer beads, hand chained together. The centerpiece is a reproduction of a vintage dragonfly in brass. The earrings are also a repro of tiny moths, and the wires are also made of brass. The beads above the moths are serpentine. (the jewelry is displayed on my Grandmother Mary's Ivy platter)
On other fronts:
My friend and fellow bonsai enthusiast Scott, gave me some seeds to try to sprout and here are a few of the babies-little Jacaranda trees! It's hard to believe these little guys have the ability to grow 30 feet high!

And i thought i would include a picture i took this morning of my little gas stove working away! We had some torrential rains and very heavy thunderstorms move in last night, and this morning the air was chilled just enough to trigger the stove to kick on. This will probably be the last time this will happen until Fall, as the hot and humid weather is set to move in tomorrow. Here comes Summer!

2 comments:

Phill said...

Those sock bunnies are adorable! That's a pretty nifty looking stove - I had been thinking about what kind I'll want in the long run ... wood, gas, etc. That's a good-lookin' one!

Mare said...

Thank you city mouse! Yes, one of the reasons i might just be looking forward to cool weather again is because we got the stove installed in late Spring and won't be using it until it gets cold again. I have always wanted a pot belly wood burning stove, but my husband was against it for various reasons. This has been a super wonderful compromise! It has a thermostat,and can either be turned on to run until you decide to turn it off, or set to go on automatically if the temp in the house gets below the selected temperature, and automatically goes off after it raises to the desired temp. This has saved our furnace from going on to heat the whole house when we just needed the chill taken out of the main floor! I LOVE it! No work or heavy clean up, and it looks so real! Our stove is made by Vermont Castings, out of cast iron.