Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Orchid Cactus bloom

 Years ago, while visiting a greenhouse, i took home a segment of this orchid cactus, just a small paddle, and put it in a pot of soil like my Grandmother Mary taught me, and sure enough it rooted. It started to grow and send off more paddles  that would break off (mostly with the help of the cats) and i would tuck those broken pieces into pots too. Now i have this type of cactus growing in lots of pots all over the house. But it is very hard to get to bloom. It's supposed to have dormant time in a dark  cool place and special watering schedules. I just never did that. But a few weeks ago i noticed a tiny bud forming on one of the original pieces...I waited and waited, and here is the flower...It is LOVELY! Let's hope more pop out!







3 comments:

Lola Nova said...

Oh my goodness, it's gorgeous! What a wonderful surprise!

Sketching with Dogs said...

I have never heard of an orchid cactus before.
It's really beautiful.
Lynne x

Mare said...

Thank you my friends! And Lynne, we are having a parallel experience again! Love your cactus blooms too!