Thursday, February 24, 2011

Baking for the Barkers

I have been making my own dog food for quite some time now. I got tired of worrying about all the dog food "recalls" i was hearing about and decided to take control of their diet. So, every few days i make my own concoction i call "Dog Stew" and it is their main meal twice a day. I throw together a mix of whole wheat pasta, brown rice, sometimes oatmeal instead of one or the other, 2-3 pounds of ground meat(turkey, beef, pork, chicken) some frozen veggies, sometimes a little peanut butter, or some fish...depends on what i have available in the freezer or pantry. I cover this with water and/or broth, and simmer until the rice is done. To this cooked stew i sometimes add raw meat, fish, leftovers, or just feed it as is. I also give all the dogs a liver flavored multi vitamin tablet that they eat like a treat. I decided tho, that i wanted to mix it up a little and found this wonderful cookbook at Amazon.com. I am still buying commercial dog biscuits and thought i would like to try my hand at making my own. So this morning i whipped up a batch of biscuits called "Peanut Terrifics"
They are super easy to make, using only a few ingredients that you probably always have in your pantry, and my dogs LOVED them! I thought i would share the recipe...
"Peanut Terrifics"
1/2 cup water
3 tablespoons peanut butter (i used chunky)
1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Mix all ingredients thoroughly
Roll dough out rather thinly and cut shapes using cookie cutters,
OR spread out on a baking sheet and cut it into shapes free style
Bake for 30 minutes or until lightly browned and crisp.
Note: the cookies will keep for 2-3 weeks in an airtight container (but i guarantee you, they won't last that long! ;) Enjoy all my little furry friends out there!

5 comments:

Paula said...

Wow~ that's great to know I can make Lily's treats here at home!
Thanks, Mare, for sharing this.
Hope you're having a wonderful day, dear friend.

Anonymous said...

Thank you. I am always looking for healthy, tasty pet recipes that are dog (and cat) approved.

Mare said...

Thank you Paula and Dogsmom! These are a BIG hit around here lately!

kate said...

Mom, I made a double batch yesterday...one for my dogs and one batch for Kim's three. I had a couple on hand when I first met them and they were STALKING me all night long. A huge hit!

Mare said...

Katie, i agree...I go thru these cookies like water! And have YOU tasted them? They make an excellent cracker!