Thursday, June 18, 2009

Newcomer to the garden...

I looked out my window and there he was! A Rose Breasted Grosbeak! This is the first time ever i have had a visit from one of these beautiful birds. I have been feeding the local birds
for years here and have had chickadees, sparrows, nuthatches, titmice, woodpeckers, grackles, pigeons, mourning doves, cat birds, mockingbirds, juncos, hummingbirds, all kinds of finches, blue jays, cardinals, crows, hawks (actually nesting in my big pines, which definitely cuts down on the birds and wildlife here with their hunting) But never these birds. So when i saw TWO of these foraging on the ground under my feeder i ran for the camera. I was able to get this one shot off before they flew. It was taken from a distance and thru the screen. After reading about them I found out that they were two males visiting so i am assuming one was the parent and the other a fledgling... Female rose breasted grosbeaks are the color of a sparrow... In reading about them i found that normally they live in woodlands...Now i have my share of trees and bushes around here, but i live in suburbia...So i can only guess that because of the deforestation locally during the Winter with that huge ice storm, these beautiful birds are being forced to find nesting grounds closer to people around here. Whatever the reason i am so happy they found me and feel comfortable here.

5 comments:

Kelli said...

That is so pretty! I love birds (as long as they're not waking me up at 6:00 in the morning...ha!)

Archie and Melissa said...

hi mare!
oh how exciting and you had your camera!
too fun!

Anonymous said...

You're so good with your bird identification! And your camera too - mine is never where I need it when I spot a good one. I have that same suet feeder!

Paula said...

Oh Mare- you lucky duck!
I've not seen any Grosbeaks here in several years now... they're such beautiful birds!

Mare said...

Hi Everybody. I haven't seen these beautiful birds since all this constant rain started so who knows if that was just a chance visit or if they will be regular customers at the feeders....My fingers are crossed!