Friday, April 16, 2010

Adopt a Native Elder

I have been doing a little research on rag rugs and looms, and in my search i came across an organization called "Adopt a Native Elder". This organization had set up a website with photos of the Native Elder's traditional woven wool rugs online and offers them for sale. The money from each sale would go back to the artist to help support them and their families. I had read a little farther into the info when i learned you can actually adopt a native Grandmother or Grandfather by sending out the cost of 2 food boxes a year, plus a few other supplies during the year...It didn't take me long to decide i would LOVE to adopt a Grandma! So i inquired, and got a response. My new Grandmother's name is Mary Ann Lewis, and she lives on the reservation in Winslow Arizona. I am just getting to know more about this organization thru newsletters, but so far i am very happy that i found this group! If you would like to know more, click here to read their blog....
The next thing i am going to do is send her some wool yarn in traditional colors to weave with. I cannot imagine what it is like to be a weaver (or knitter or crocheter) without yarn!

1 comment:

Ducky said...

Wow! Awesome program, I had not heard of it before. Thanks for the link!